Select Page

The presence of mold in your workplace is a serious problem that requires immediate attention. Mold exposure can affect your health in many ways, both in the short and long term.

Some of the most common symptoms associated with mold exposure include:

  • Wheezing
  • Coughing
  • Stuffiness of your nose
  • Itchy skin
  • Red and itchy eyes

If you also have allergies, your symptoms may worsen when you’re in close proximity to mold. You may experience one or more of the following:

  • Chest cold
  • Frequent coughing
  • Headaches
  • Feelings of exhaustion
  • Difficulty breathing
  • High fever that comes and goes

Fortunately, removing the mold will eliminate these symptoms. However, if you have long term exposure, it could lead to:

  • Anxiety
  • Stomach pain
  • Hair loss
  • Memory loss and/or confusion
  • Muscle cramps
  • Weight gain
  • Sensitivity to light

Anyone who is exposed to mold is likely to suffer some symptoms. If you have any of these medical conditions, your symptoms may be worse:

  • Asthma
  • Chronic allergies
  • Mold allergy
  • Chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD)
  • Immunodeficiency disorders
  • Cystic fibrosis

What should you do about it?

Since mold exposure at work puts your health at risk, don’t hesitate to discuss your concerns with your supervisor and building owner. Even if your suspicions aren’t correct, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

If your exposure to mold has impacted your health to the point where you’re unable to work, learn more about the workers’ compensation system and your legal rights for filing a claim. By doing this, you can receive compensation for your illness, thus giving you the time needed to make a full recovery.